Friday, September 30, 2005

And Addendum to an Earlier Post

I inserted this, but after my readers had been there, so I will include this little (precious) event here:

Going back to the very beginning of my mariner's career shortly after we left Mobile we put in at Port Arthur to take on a load of aviation gasolene, right at the tip of Sabine Pass. It was a Sunday afternoon and I went ashore. Found a Methodist Church with evening services, went in early and sat down. An eagle eyed usher saw me, came over and welcomed me. Then he cast his eye over the scattering of other early arrivals and settled on a young woman. "Come on over here" he said, "I'd like you to meet Miss ??? (God knows what her name was). We chatted; I sat down beside her.After the service she took me home, introduced me to her parents, and they welcomed me like one of their own. Praise God. I've never seen such extravagant hospitality in a Methodist Church (other than my own!). Going over that incident at lunch with Ellie, I concluded, "that's true Christianity", and very, very rare. They had plenty of reason to fear and distrust travelers. In fact a few years further along that will be demonstrated-- still in Texas.

2 Comments:

Blogger twila said...

Wonderful. I wish it could always be like that. Members of a clan greeting one another, taking in one another, whether they have ever met or not.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Larry Clayton said...

Twyla, you've just described Quakers as we've known them. We can go anywhere and achieve intimate conversation with a local Quaker.

Jon, Do you have kids? Ridgecrest? OMG. I'll share my kids if you'll share yours.

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home